Australian Algebra Conference
Saturday November 30 - Sunday December 01, 2019
Venue: RMIT University, Melbourne
The aim of the annual Australian Algebra Conference is to foster communication between algebraists in Australia. We interpret algebra broadly, including areas such as topological algebra, algebraic logic, graph theory and coding theory. The conference is run by the Australian Algebra Group, which is a special interest group of the Australian Mathematical Society.
About the venue
RMIT Building 8, Bowen St, Melbourne
Room 08-04-13 ("Mega Flex 3")
Getting to RMIT
RMIT is conveniently located very close to Melbourne Central station, and quite near to Chinatown. See the map above for directions to the conference venue.
The dinner will be held at 6 o'clock on Saturday evening 30/11/2019 at the Oxford Scholar Hotel, on the corner of Swanston St and a'Beckett St, Melbourne. See below for the menu.
The invited speaker is Professor Ales Drapal from Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic.
The conference booklet will be available closer to the event.
The list of talk titles will appear here later.
Gordon Preston Prize
The Gordon Preston Prize is awarded for the best presentation at the AAC given by a current student based at an Australian or overseas university. The presentations will be judged by a panel appointed by the executive committee. The winner of the prize will receive $300. The Rules for the Gordon Preston Prize are available on the website of the Australian Algebra Group.
Try travel booking websites like Wotif, Expedia, Agoda, Booking (.com.au) for deals.
- Graham Clarke, RMIT --- Email: email@example.com
- Joanne Hall, RMIT --- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Asha Rao, RMIT --- Email: email@example.com
- Lawrence Reeves, University of Melbourne --- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marcel Jackson, Latrobe University --- Email: email@example.com
- Tomasz Kowalski, Latrobe University --- Email: T.Kowalski@latrobe.edu.au
- Brian Davey, Latrobe University --- Email: B.Davey@latrobe.edu.au
Registration and Payment
To register, go here: https://register.austms.org.au/
(Registration is now closed.)
- Members of the Australian Algebra Group: free
- Students: free
- Members of the AustMS who are not members of the Australian Algebra Group: $30 (by bank transfer)
- Non-members of the AustMS: $40 (by bank transfer)
- Non-students: $40
- Students: $20
The conference series particularly encourages graduate students to give presentations on their work. Students from Australian universities, regardless of their intention to give a talk, are entitled to apply for a travel contribution. The amount will be a function of the number of applicants and where you are coming from, and will be announced soon after the application deadline (pending). Preference will be given to students coming from outside the Melbourne metropolitan area. Unfortunately, it is not possible to provide any contribution to costs for students from non-Australian universities. Retired or unwaged participants may also request support by emailing the local organisers directly.